Thursday, March 1, 2007

My Own Death

The thought of my own death freaks me out. But I feel it is something I need to start thinking about because I don't know when I'm going to die. I need to let the people close to me know what I would want so that if something were to happen to me they would know what to do.

One thing I know for sure is that I would not want to be a vegetable. That is no way to live so I would want to be pulled off life support. If I were not able to speak for myself I don't know who I would want to speak for me? I guess I would have my parents speak for me. But then again would they have level heads and be able to make good decisions when my life is at stake? I'm not sure but I would hope so. And I would hope that they would follow my wishes and make the best decisions.
As for my funeral I definitely wouldn't want a religious service because I don't think of myself as a religious person. I am more of a spiritual person. I would want my family and friends to gather somewhere and just celebrate my life. I wouldn't want people to wear black and be sad but rather wear something fabulous and that they think I would like. I would want tea, biscotti, pretzels, mini reese cups, pita bread, hummus, peanut butter sandwiches, and tasti d-lite to be served. I would just want people to get up and remember great moments we shared together. I definitely would want to be cremated. The idea of being in a box underground gives me the creeps.

As for my belongings well I don't really have that much. And how do you decide who gets what? I don't really feel like I have anything important let alone things people would want but I guess I would want people to have things that I think they would like and was something we had in common. I think a living will is a great idea and something everybody should have. When thinking about death and how I would want to die I think I would want to die in my sleep. My great grandmother, One Nonnie, died in her sleep and it seemed so peaceful. Sleep just seems the best way.

Thinking about your own death is scary and definitely not easy. But I encourage you all to think about your own death and the things that you would want and wouldn't want. It's important that someone in your life knows your wishes and can carry them out for you if they have to.

I leave you with this quote to think about:

"Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other."
by Francis Bacon

2 comments:

sAvVy SPENDER said...

Oh my god, reading this makes me freak out because I don't want to have to think about planning my death. I think it's great that you don't want to have a traditional service, they're so depressing. It should be about celebrating the persons life. I am not at a point in my life right now though to try and plan for my death. I just can't bring myself to doing that.

istyle team said...

It is definitely hard thinking about your own death. But I encourage you to think about a living will because what if something did happen to you and nobody knew what you would want?