Saturday, February 24, 2007

People Come Into Your Life and People Go

I started thinking about how the loss of a relationship is very similar to the loss of a loved one. The way we grieve a relationship is very similar to the way we grieve someone's death. I have only been in love once so far and when that relationship ended I have never felt so much pain. I can remember how it felt so vividly. I had never felt so sad or cried so much in my life. I remember feeling like someone had ripped my insides out. I had no appetite at all. I didn't eat for weeks because I just felt nauseous all the time. It's crazy that something can affect you so strongly. But I guess it's because you can't imagine your life without that person and then you have to. I would say it took me a good year or so to get over that relationship.

I think the way I grieved that relationship is very similar to how I will grieve the loss of a loved one in my life. And that scares me. The pain I felt was horrible and well I don't want to go through that again. The fact that it took me a year to get over it scares me as well because I feel like it will take me just as long if not longer to get over someone's death. However, maybe I would get over the death faster because death is final. But the loss of a relationship isn't because that person is still walking around, they just are with somebody else. I know that I am a very emotional person and take a while to get over things. I don't like change and I don't like the people who I care most about dying or not being a part of my life anymore. But who doesn't? Maybe the important thing for me to remember is that people come into your life and people go. As hard as it will be to go through the pain I still have wonderful moments that I shared with that person. I think people come into your life for a reason. Every person that comes into your life gives a little piece of them to you. You take that with you wherever you go because in some way they helped you grow and exposed you to new things.

I urge all of you to think about a relationship you have grieved and if it was similar to the way you grieved someone’s death.

I leave you with this quote to think about:

"Love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave." - the Old Testament, The Song of Solomon viii. 6.

2 comments:

sAvVy SPENDER said...

It is so hard for me to think about not having my loved ones in my life. It scares me to think about those moments. We get so attached to the people who are most close to us that it is hard to imagine living life without them. Who can we depend on if they are gone? Loosing someone to death or a relationship is very difficult to get over because that person becomes part of who you are. I have lost many family members and have gone through the grieving process more than once. I feel what is important is that you grieve in a healthy way with others who care about you and find a special way to keep that person a part of your life. Even if it is someone you had a relationship with and it ended badly. There is something positive that can be remembered from that experience.

nikola8629 said...

I never actually thought about the end of a relationship like that... but what you say is very true. Both situations involve a great amount of loss.