In my Death and Bereavement class we recently had two people who work in hospice care come speak to us. For anyone who doesn't know, hospice care is a system of care for dying people and their families. With hospice care people with life-limiting illnesses can manage their pain and live their life to the fullest. All services are provided at home if possible, otherwise there is inpatient care provided at some hospitals and hospice facilities. People are eligible for hospice care when their doctor has said that they probably have less than six months to live. Dame Cicely Saunders opened St. Christopher's Hospice in London in 1967. It was the first research and teaching hospice. Her idea of a place where people could die surrounded by their family and specialists spread around the world and helped create a new medical discipline known as palliative care.
After hearing the two speakers I really admire what they do because they are really making a difference in someone's life. They give that person joy and peace with what little time they have left. You know I really wonder how those people go to work each day and are not sad all the time. They are exposed to so many people dying from different illnesses. It has to be somewhat depressing. I feel like if I were in that field I would get attached to the patients and be upset when they died. I imagine it must be hard for them to let go of all the patients they see. I'm sure every employee or volunteer connects with one of the patients on some level and is sad to see them go. I think what these people do is really great because they are making a contribution to the world and granting a person's last wishes in a sense. I can only hope that whatever I end up doing I feel like I'm making a difference. As hard as that job might be I think it would be really rewarding and fulfilling. You get to meet so many people and hear their life stories. You get to take a little piece of them with you and I think that's priceless.
I know that before these two people came to my class I never gave much thought to hospice care. I knew what it was but I've never really thought about it. I think it's really great that it exists and people who are terminally ill can die the way they want to. I also think volunteering might help anyone who is trying to come to terms with death. The hospice of New York does take volunteers so if this is something you are interested in here is the contact information:
(718)-472-1999 or (516) 222-1211 and if you want to know more about the American Hospice Foundation there website is www.americanhospice.org
Sunday, April 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
A few years ago when my grandmother was on her final stand with lung cancer, she was able to stay at her home and die in peace because of hospice care. Her care giver, Lucy was so amazing, always upbeat and so kind. she was a real comfort for my grandma, and i too have always thought how hard it must be to maintain such a high positive level when surrounded daily by death.
I agree with you. I don't know how these people do it. But I love that they are such a great presence in these people's lives when they need it most.
I imagine that it would be hard for the caregivers to be so close to death so often, but it is a beautiful thing that they are willing to share their happiness with their patients in their last days or months of living. They must be very strong.
Post a Comment