The death of anyone in your life is always very hard. But for me I think one of the saddest things and hardest things is when parents lose a child. To me that seems like a loss I can't even imagine. A loss that one probably never really gets over. It is a phone call that no parent ever wants to get.
When I was in middle school good friends of my family lost their daughter, Annie. She was a dancer and was 19 years old. She was a sophomore in college and really was just beginning her life. She was the sweetest girl and lit up the room when she walked in. She came home for the weekend and was driving downtown around 4:30 in the afternoon with her boyfriend and some friends. Annie was sitting in the front seat, her boyfriend was driving and their two friends were sitting in the back. They were driving past an alley when a drunk driver came barreling down the alley and hit them head on, on Annie's side. Annie died in the hospital while her boyfriend and friends just came out with scratches.
It was the saddest funeral. My mother said it was very grim because there were so many young people at the funeral. Many of Annie's friends and classmates spoke at the funeral and they carried her casket. Her parents just looked so sad. There were no words to offer them. There was nothing anybody could say to make it better. And I think for many people who had children they just didn’t know what to say. Annie's brother and boyfriend both went to a famous tattoo artist in Baltimore to get a tattoo of her name to commemorate her. Everyone was in shock and Annie's parents were devastated. Her mother, Betsy didn't leave the house for over a year. A year after Annie died is when they sent out thank you notes to people who made donations. I mean how do you get over the death of your 19-year-old daughter? It is just so awful. My mom said that to this day sometimes she still can't believe that Annie is dead. She has been dead for seven years now but her parents are still not over it. I guess that is something you never get over. But some how you find a way to move on with your life. I'm sure there are good days and then there are bad days. It really is your worst nightmare come true.
Saturday, April 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so sad to think about. I feel for Annie's parents. How would someone get over that? It is an awful thing for parents to have to bury their child.
I actually just found out last night that a friends friend had died. A girl, only 22 years old. Her mother found her in her bed already dead, and they believe it was a drug overdose. They are not certain, but feel that that was the cause. Even though, it seems this young girl who was just beginning her life died of drugs, it is still heart breaking for her parents to have to go through that pain. I hope they have the strength to get through these hard times.
I hope they do too. That is such a sad story. I can't even imagine what those parents are going through right now.
Post a Comment